Wednesday, November 3, 2010

My extra-chocolate birthday

Long time that I had felt really impatient to scribble something… and that’s because of this Vodafone commercial…. VODAFONE DELIGHTS… that commercial where the little girl gives a few extra chocolates to her best friend, who means special to her, really made me feel so good... it is one of those ads which brings in a nice little smile to your face, accompanied by a feeling of crisp happiness around you… what’s more serene than the little things that you have done in your childhood? Nothing at all…

This commercial is extra-special to me also because it reminds me of exactly the same thing that I did when I was in Class II. That was my last year in my first school, De Nobili School. I was shifting to a boarding from the next year (bet that my parents thought I needed to learn a lot of lessons!). My birthday, incidentally, falls almost on the verge of the session-end. So, there I was, the second-last day of my school, celebrating my birthday.

In De Nobili, at that time, the norm was that one could wear colour dress (read ghar ka dress) on his/her birthday. So, the birthday kids were easily identifiable. I wore my new birthday dress from dad and mom, took around 100 chocolates with me and marched proudly towards school. My school was just a stone-throwing distance away, so I had to walk. But today was different, I was in colour dress! So anybody who saw me on the way gave me a nice smile and waved HAPPY BIRTHDAY… I clearly remember slowing down my pace, so that more people could cross me and wish me… :)

In school, I had to distribute these chocolates to all classmates in my section, II-C. However, some of my very good friends were in II-A and II-B. The problem was that II-C was in a separate building, while II-A and II-B was in the next building, just above I-A and I-B. It was real pain carrying chocolates from one building to other, coz there was every chance of vandalism. So, I took some 30-40 chocolates in my pocket and went over to give it to these best friends only. Each would get 5! I remember some names even now, though I have lost contact with most of them…. Dipanjana, Jayanta, Bitasta, Shivam, Paromita, Abhishek…. They were delighted, obviously!

Back in II-C, I started distributing one chocolate to everybody. We used to do this during the 4th period, when our Class Teacher used to teach Maths. There was a special friend here also and I gave him 10, in front of everybody else. That was Bumba (Arindam Chaki, to be clearer). Everybody gave me and Bumba a glare of sorts! They were really jealous… I loved it!

But then came the ‘ouch’ part… I ran out of chocolates before I could finish giving 1 each to everybody in II-C! I hadn’t planned to give my best friends more chocos… that was an impromptu thing… and there were about 10 boys and girls who were eagerly looking at me for chocolates, while I was out-of-stock!

My class teacher stepped in…. I told her that my dad had given me lot of chocolates, but I have given more to some friends, and so running short (I was worried that she might tell all this to my parents in the Parent-Teacher Meet). But Mam was generous enough not to scold me on my birthday… But while she was listening patiently to my problem, I told her that I have an idea! I can collect back 2 chocolates from each of my best friends and give these 10 fellows!

I won’t say that she liked my idea, but she just gave up on me! Most teachers had given up on me at that time actually :(. So I went up to Bumba, took back 2-3 chocolates… went all the way to II-A and II-B in the other building and collected few more… The teachers in II-A and II-B gave me really ugly looks, as if I am disturbing heavily amidst an IIT exam! And then it was all done!!!! And I don’t remember feeling embarrassed at all for recollecting chocolates… Though I laugh my heart out now when I think of it now! :)

Incidentally, my best friends didn’t mind at all!!! They still had more than others!!!

Today, I am out of touch with most of these friends and I won’t even recognize them if they come and stand in front of me! And that makes this chocolate incident so much significant to me… Unknowingly, I had grabbed a chance to tell them that they are special to me… and I would miss them at the boarding…

I dedicate this post to all my extra-chocolate friends at De Nobili…

Cheerio!

P.S: Catch the Vodafone ad here... U will like it, even if u have seen it umpteen number of times....

2 comments:

  1. Nice one Kohu bhai, the ad made me feel very nice too, but the other one, the holding onto your friend's seat made me truly nostalgic, cause this is something we have all done time n again (and still continue to do so :P ).

    ReplyDelete
  2. true... even that one is really nice....

    ReplyDelete